The Geneskool Summer Science Program will still be happening this summer! Students will still get an opportunity to do hands-on genetics and molecular biology experiments at home, listen to exciting guest speakers, and more! This summer, you or your teen can explore aspects of biotechnology, genomics, inheritance, virology, forensics and microbiology to solve a mystery!
How does it work?
- Two registration options are available: free and paid program
- Online instruction and at home experiments
- Open to students who are entering grade 8 or higher in the Fall
- Participants navigate the twists and turns of a mystery!
How will the free program work?
- Free registration includes access to all of our online content through an at-home, self-directed format
- Registration is mandatory in order to gain access to online resources, unlimited seats available
- Access to online resources will be available Aug 1, 2020 (tentative date).
How will the paid program work?
- Paid content will include a lab kit that is shipped to your home, live online instruction, guest speakers, opportunities to work with other students to solve a mystery, in addition to access to our online content
- Online instruction will occur Aug 10-21, 2020 every weekday from 1-3PM via Zoom
- The two-week-long program packs each day with interesting science and fun, and guided, at-home hands-on activities
- Guest speakers talk about their profession and the fascinating career opportunities out there involving science
- Cost to attend paid programming is $50. Note: Geneskool believes that our programs should be accessible to everyone, and we may be able to offer bursaries to students who otherwise could not afford to attend our Summer Science Program. To be considered for a bursary, please complete the application form and let us know that you are interested in applying for a bursary
- Registration limited to BC shipping addresses only
- Limited seats are available. Registration closes on July 31, 2020.
REGISTRATION FOR THE PAID PROGRAM IS NOW FULL
Spots for the free program are still available for registration. A wait-list is available for the paid programming and will be filled on a first-come, first-serve basis if or when spots become available again. Sign up for the wait-list here
What comes in the kit for the paid program?
- Buffers and solutions needed for experiments
- Plastic beaker
- Pasteur pipettes
- Microscope slides
- DNA Gel
- Mystery samples to test
- Test tubes and solution bottles
- And more!
(Note: the final kit content has not yet been finalized, the above list is subject to change)
Bursary Program (REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED)
We offer bursaries to students who otherwise could not afford our Summer Science Program. Bursaries are intended to cover the registration fee only. To be considered, please fill out the attached bursary application form and submit it via email to Evelyn Sun at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to:
Genome British Columbia
400-575 West 8th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V5Z 0C4
BIPOC Program (REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED)
The BIPOC Program allocates reserved seating for Black and/or Indigenous Students who want to attend the Summer Science Program for Teens this year. Application is now open. Once we receive your application, we will send you a promo code to register for the program free of charge. If you have any questions after this program, please email Connie at email@example.com.
For more information, contact Evelyn Sun at firstname.lastname@example.org