The Honourable Michelle Rempel, Minister of State for Western Economic Diversification and representatives of Genome British Columbia (Genome BC) announced that Western Economic Diversification Canada (WD) is contributing $715,000 to Genome BC.
This funding will be used by Genome BC to address the federal Government’s economic priority of responsible resource development, support priorities that natural resources industries have identified as being critical to longer term success, and will help Western Canadian small and medium enterprises grow their international markets.
The funding will be directed towards significantly increasing the user-pull of relevant genomics technologies by existing companies and organizations, and supporting the development of new companies to commercialize genomics technologies.
Some of the partners that Genome BC will be working with to advance the uptake of genomics technologies by users include:
- FP Innovations
- Marine Harvest
- Summerland Varieties Group
- BC Centre for Aquatic Health Sciences
- BC Wine Grape Council
- BC Food Processors Association
- Lower Mainland Horticultural Improvement Association
- BC Honey Producers Association
- Ministry of Agriculture, Plant and Animal Health Branch
- British Columbia Agriculture Council
- University of Victoria
- Thompson Rivers University
- University of Northern British Columbia
- Genome Alberta
- Genome Prairie