Come into contact with the world of genomics
Genome BC has developed a series of outreach programs to stimulate interest in genomics and increase understanding of how genomics is impacting people’s lives: Geneskool and Travelling Exhibits.
Our popular hands-on, in-person workshops for high school students have inspired over 25,000 students in BC, from Dawson Creek to Prince George to Vancouver. This non-profit outreach program is dedicated to providing students with unique opportunities to investigate the exciting world of genomics and life sciences.
We work with teachers to provide free presentations and activities to their classes. All activities have been designed to match BC Ministry of Education Prescribed Learning Objectives:
- 1- to 3-hour classroom visits: students meet practicing scientists and get a hands-on demonstration of an important concept in the life sciences. Read more
- All-day workshops at local campuses: students solve a mystery using molecular biology techniques. Read more
This program runs from two offices:
- Vancouver – We travel to communities across BC.
- Geneskool North – A partnership between Genome BC and UNBC serving Prince George and surrounding areas.
“I can’t thank you enough for a wonderful presentation. The presenters were enthusiastic and patient. Being from a small community, we don’t have a lot of resources so thank you for coming to our school and giving these opportunities to our students.” – a teacher from Burns Lake
Week-long day camps providing university and college lab experiences for students entering grades 10 through 12:
- investigate the world of forensics and genetics,
- learn current molecular techniques in state-of-the-art lab facilities,
- explore diverse applications of genetic technologies, and
- consider the science from social and ethical perspectives.
Summer 2012! Geneskool Summer Camps will be held in two communities this summer: North Vancouver and Nanaimo. A nominal fee applies. For more information, please click here.
“Thank you for exposing my son to new career paths. He started to research biotech careers on Wednesday evening.” – parent of a Geneskool camp participant
Genome BC’s Travelling Exhibits are portable educational displays for use by educational groups, schools, and community organizations. They’ve logged thousands of kilometres as they toured science classrooms, Community Science Celebrations (in collaboration with Telus World of Science) and other education venues.
Best of all, they can come visit you for free! Click here to learn more.