Avoid the "I'm bored!" teenager this August - send them to Genome BC's Geneskool Summer Camp!
The Low Down:
- Open to students who have completed Science 9 or higher
- Each camp is a week-long day camp
- Campers explore the exciting world of genetics, molecular biology and forensics while investigating a thrilling "murder mystery"
- Camps are hosted at university labs giving campers a rare opportunity to conduct real experiments using state-of-the-art equipment
Fascinating Guest Speakers:
- Lise Matzke, Project Manager at UBC BioBank - She will discuss the growing role of Biobanks in supporting genetic research and about the ethical and legal complexities that go along with it. (Lise is speaking at the Capilano University camp)
- Cst. Robbyn Chan and Cpl. Keith Stone, RCMP Identification Officers and Paula Perry, Forensic Anthropologist - This talk about how a crime scene is protected and the types of forensic evidence discovered and collected will have campers captivated! They will also talk about science-related careers within the RCMP. (Robbyn and Paula speaking at the Capilano University camp; Keith speaking at the VIU camp)
- Cst. Steve Haras, Evidence Technician, Forensic Identification Section, Vancouver Police - An exciting discussion citing various methods of science used to link evidence to a crime scene. He will also talk about techniques that have been developed by scientists and are used by the Vancouver Police. (Steve is speaking at the Capilano University camp)
- Rob Wager, Vancouver Island University Faculty Member - Rob will be speaking about successful examples of recombinant DNA technology being used today in agriculture. (speaking at the VIU camp)
Other benefits to attending a Geneskool Summer Camp include:
- Tour of the hosting university campus
- Make new friends that have similar interests and aspirations
- Hear about interesting careers in the field of science you may not have thought about
- Do cool stuff like lift fingerprints and analyze blood splatter from a crime scene
- Have Fun!!!
Vancouver Island University, Nanaimo Campus - August 5th to August 9th, 2013
Capilano University, North Vancouver Campus, August 19th to August 23rd, 2013
Click here to see the 2013 Vancouver Island University timetable
Click here to see the 2013 Capilano University timetable
Visit our blog for recent updates on the camp activities, fun facts about Genetics and interesting articles about current science. Also, feel free to ask questions and express your scientific interests and opinions.
If you have questions about the camps, please contact our Summer Camp Director, Carolina Novoa, either by phone at 604.675.1029 or by email at email@example.com.